Monday, April 27, 2009
Williamsburg Orange Cake
Love this cake. Should frost it with orange buttercream, but, the kids can't wait.
* 2 3/4 cups cake flour
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1/4 cup shortening
* 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
* 3 eggs
* 1 cup golden raisins, chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1 tablespoon orange zest
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan, two 9 inch round cake pans, or three 8 inch round cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix in butter, shortening, buttermilk, eggs, raisins, nuts, orange zest and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes on high speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Bake 9x13 inch pan 45 to 50 minutes, or layers 30 to 35 minutes.